Former Assistant District Attorney | Former Judge
Call Today:

googleplusimage facebookicon twittericon linkedinIcon emailicon
Fighting DWI s' 40 Years
We have the experience it takes to help you with your case.

Former Judge
Tom Hooton knows how they convict you and how to fight them.

Get Started Today
Tom understand how prosecutors think. Have him use his experience in your case.

Driving While Intoxicated Offenses for Minors
Again, remember that if you are a minor — meaning that you are under 21 years old — then you cannot receive a Driving While Intoxicated offense. Only people who are 21 years or older can get this charge. You can be charged with a DUI. In addition, you may face other alcohol and substance-related offenses if you are driving under the influence, including charges such as:

1) Soliciting substances such as alcohol
2) Distributing alcohol to other minors, which often is the case if you have passengers who are under 21
3)Child endangerment violations
4) Possessing a fake I.D., which often is the case if a minor purchases alcohol on his or her own
5) Moving violations

Remember that when you are under the influence, an officer is going to watch you carefully to make sure you are not a threat to public safety. If you are drunk, you might be unruly or argumentative, and that can land you in deeper trouble with the arresting officer. It can turn into a bad situation with multiple serious violations — and that means heavier fines and a weaker case for you if you go to trial down the road. Be cooperative with your arresting officer and don’t complicate an already difficult situation. There is only so much your defense lawyer can do for you at the end of the day if you’re not willing to help your situation and make the right decisions for you.

If you receive any alcohol-related violation during your arrest or detainment, then there are further consequences you may face.

Your insurance company may decide to drop you as a client. Others may increase your premiums drastically. You should expect your monthly premium to increase between $100-$200 for being put into a high-risk category. This placement could last you between three and five years, resulting in an economic strain to you – especially if your parents or legal guardians require you to pay the difference. You’ll also likely need to obtain an SR-22 certificate, which will prove you are insured, if you want to re-instate your license. Your insurance company should pass this along to your local DMV, but the bottom line is that you’ll need to expect increased premiums and more financial strain as a result of alcohol-related charges against you in the state of Texas.


We Can Help.

Your Name (required)

Your Email (required)


Your Message

Let us provide you with the excellent legal protection we have honed for many years.
Fill out the Form to contact us.


check Superior Achievement Award - Texas DWI Lawyers

check Founding Member of Texas DWI Lawyers

check Top 3 DWI Lawyers - ACS Lawyer

check Former Judge

check Over 40 Years of Criminal Law Experience

check Co-Counsel in Writing a Traffic Law Manual

© 2016 DfwDwiLawyer.com | The Law Offices of Tom Hooton
© 2016 DfwDwiLawyer.com | The Law Offices of Tom Hooton